Naomi, the Artist
Naomi Edelberg Janches was born in Montreal, Canada. While attending Penn State University studying Marketing & Design, Naomi took some technical classes in the glass medium which had fascinated her for years and has been creating ever since. She has traveled extensively and lived in many corners of the world where extreme natural phenomena occur daily. From the upper atmosphere to the depths of the oceans Naomi has spent years translating these concepts into glass images. Naomi and her husband live in the Rockies, above Boulder, Colorado, surrounded by majestic mountains and fantastic skies.
I have been creating one-of-a-kind art glass installations for over 2 decades. My signature flowing style brings a sensual fluidity to the rigid medium of glass. I have traveled extensively and lived in many countries where I experienced extreme weather and environments. While above the Arctic Circle in Northern Sweden, I experienced minus 40 degree days along with total darkness while viewing the Aurora Borealis almost daily. I also lived in the Carribean as well as spending much time in Japan, Buenos Aires and the Andes in Argentina. These environments have had a huge effect on my artistic style.
I have done several “Art of Science” type of exhibits, transitioning environmental and atmospheric phenomena into glass creations. I continue to find ways to create my art with minimal environmental impact. Although I must purchase many needed supplies for my art, I use reclaimed and recycled materials as often as possible and am always looking for old church glass and sea glass to incorporate into my creations.
My installations include whole entryways, doors, windows, walls of glass, as well as hanging pieces, furniture, and 3 dimensional pieces and lighting. All of these creations are one of a kind and handmade. I am experienced working with architects, structural engineers, Public Art administrators, designers, as well as residential and business owners as well as being experienced with LEED projects.
I’m proud to have my work in private collections and installations throughout the U.S., Argentina, Puerto Rico and Europe
- Advanced Glass Techniques, Abby Stained Glass Studio, Boalsburg, PA - 1991
- Introduction to Stained Glass Techniques, Penn State University, S.C., PA - 1989
- Business Advertising and Marketing, Penn State University - 1986
- 1997-1998 Creative Oasis, State College, PA: Intro & Advanced Stained Glass Techniques
- 1997-1999 The Artnook, State College, PA: Intro & Advanced Stained Glass Techniques
- Cellular Reflections – Glass Wall -11’x 14’ : Installed summer 2010, Fort Lewis College Biology Department- Durango, CO.
- Shades of Wind – Glass Panel 7’x 3’ : Installed winter 2011, The Nederland Community Library - Nederland CO
- Unstable Equilibrium : Installed Fall 2011, The National Science Foundation- Arlington, VA
- Maryland Federation of the Arts
- Washington Project of the Arts
- Boulder Arts Alliance
- New Mexico Glass Alliance